The City of Vista has begun an update to its initial 2012 Climate Action Plan to help Vista meet California’s revised goals for reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and the anticipated effects of climate change.
What is a Climate Action Plan?
In general, a Climate Action Plan (CAP) is a long-range plan that outlines specific strategies to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The City of Vista's 2012 Climate Action Plan set a baseline for past and current GHG emissions, included forecasts of future emissions, and established targets to help California reduce future emissions.
In the long term, the CAP will also help achieve multiple community goals such as lowering energy costs, reducing air pollution, supporting local economic development, and improving public health and quality of life. An update to Vista’s CAP has begun, and it will be augmented by the inclusion of an update to the City’s Energy Roadmap. The Energy Roadmap is an energy management plan prepared by SANDAG in consultation with City staff. It provides a framework for Vista to identify ways to save energy in government operations and in the community, resulting in municipal cost savings and benefits to the environment.
California’s GHG Reduction Targets
- Reduce GHG emissions to 1990 levels by 2020 (a target established by the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, also known as Assembly Bill (AB) 32)
- Reduce GHG emissions to 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030 (a target established by Senate Bill (SB) 32)
2018 Community Outreach/Public Engagement Meetings
The City of Vista hosted community outreach and public engagement meetings to address the CAP and Energy Roadmap updates. (ENGLISH / SPANISH WORKSHOP MEETINGS HANDOUT)
Online Survey & Photo Summary (SURVEY CLOSED August 28, 2018)
- If unable to attend a meeting, vote your top six measures on an online survey.
- Photo Summary from community meetings (PDF)
Q&A and City Responses
- Questions noted during Community Outreach Meetings and from online submissions and the City responses
The following meetings were scheduled.
June 4, 6 pm
General Public at Morris Vance Community Room at Vista Civic Center.
June 13, 6 pm
Community Climate-Focused Groups (Vista Climate Action Planners and North County Climate Change Alliance) at Morris Vance Community Room at Vista Civic Center
June 14, 6 pm
South Vista Communities at Shadowridge Golf Club, 1980 Gateway Dr., Vista
June 27, 6 pm
Townsite Community at Vista Academy of Performing Arts, 600 N. Santa Fe Ave., Vista
June 28, 6 pm
Vista Chamber of Commerce, SDG&E, Businesses-Focused Groups at Prohibition Brewery, 2004 E. Vista Way, Vista
- Planning Commission at Vista Civic Center (Staff Report)
- Planning Commission PowerPoint presentation
July 19, 6 pm
General Public at Morris Vance Community Room at Vista Civic Center
Aug 28, 5:30 pm
City Council Meeting
Please check this webpage regularly for additional announcements. All meetings are open to the public.
- Vista Climate Action Plan, 2012
- Resumen Ejecutivo SPANISH CAP
- Vista Energy Roadmap, 2012
- Vista General Plan 2030, 2011 and associated Program EIR
- California Climate Change Portal - Climate Strategy
- Local Climate Action Plans and GHG Inventories
- California Air Resources Board, Climate Change Programs
- AB 32 - Overview - California Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006
- AB 32 - Text of bill
- SB 32 - Overview - California Global Warming Solutions Emissions Limit
- SB 32 - Text of bill
- SB 97 - Overview - CEQA and Climate Change
- SB 97 - Text of bill
- California Climate Change Legislation, Regulations, and Executive Orders
John Conley, Director of Community Development
Collaboration with SANDAG
The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) provides its member agencies with energy efficiency and climate action planning support through the Energy Roadmap Program. Since 2010, the SANDAG Energy Roadmap Program has provided member agencies with voluntary, no-cost energy assessments, known as “Energy Roadmaps.” In 2016, the Energy Roadmap Program was expanded to include no-cost climate action planning services.